Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Free NAT for NT?

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 12:37:55 -0400

In message <37D6BA90.DDA2D96A () enternet se>, Mikael Olsson writes:

I think I have a bone or two to pick with you here, Carl...
Well actually I'd like to pick them with T. Hain of Microsoft,
but since he's not listening and you are, and you seem
to agree with him.... >:]

<rant size=666 target=_ms color=brightred>

First a couple of first-glance observations

- Isn't it ironic that a Microsoft employee wrote that paper?
  Especially taking into consideration all the "protocols"
  they have designed that require nothing less than
  complete port 0-65535 access between the machines involved
  in a conversation? NetMeeting is probably the prime example.
  Also note that you cannot logon to a domain if you
  are NATed.

There are a lot of problems with your note (which I've forwarded to Tony Hain);
for now, let me just address this point.  The draft under discussion is an
IETF document, which Tony wrote in his role as a member of the Internet
Architecture Board.  The IETF's attitude is quite explicit -- members
participate as individuals, not as employees of particular companies.  There
is no contradiction between what Tony wrote and what Microsoft does; they're
quite separate.  To the extent that the paper reflects any institutional view,
it's that of the IAB -- most, if not all, IAB members agree with it.  (That
most emphatically includes me.)

                --Steve Bellovin