Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Hardware vs. Software firewall reliability

From: Chenggong Charles Fan <fan () rainfinity com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 20:57:21 -0700

For FW-1, before version 4.1, the VPN encryption is not being shared by
its State Sync Mechanism, so existing VPN sessions will be broken when
a fail-over occurs.  With 4.1, key is being synced, and fail-over will
be transparent.  We have tested Rainwall v1.3 with FW-1 v4.1, and VPN
fail-over works.  Both of them will be available in a couple of weeks.

Charles

Bill Stout wrote:

I suspect the answers are vendor-specific here.

So why would a VPN not fail over?  Current sessions should break, but should
be no more interruption than temporary packet loss on the Internet.

Rather than start a new VPN on failover, why not have two VPNs predefined
and ready to accept connections once the IP address is failed over?

Bill Stout