Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Newspaper Article about Cable Modem security

From: sean.kelly () lanston com
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 12:35:56 -0500

From: Robert Graham [mailto:robert_david_graham () yahoo com]

For example, @Home (and some other ISPs) block incoming port
139 at their
routers. Engineers think this is free, because it is trivial
configuration in
their routers. However, tech support people experience the
costs as people call
up complaining that they can't share files with their
friends.
It can easily take 15-minutes with a customer just to figure
out the problem is
related to port 139. A typical conversation starts out with
"Hello, I'm paying
$40/month for Internet access from you company but it doesn't
work. If I can't
get it to work today, I want my money back".

If @Home didn't block port 139 then they would be getting calls saying
"someone hacked my computer and it's your fault, I'm going to take legal
action."  Basically, there's no way to win.  I'd rather err on the side of
caution.

Sean