Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SSH nonstandard port / redirection.

From: Bennett Todd <bet () mordor net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 18:22:40 -0500

1999-11-17-15:17:33 KT Morgan:
Does SSH deal well with redirection?

I can't say I've tried it, but as far as I can figure it oughta work fine.

And, can ssh (1 or 2) be configured to listen on a non-standard(port22)
port?

Haven't done it with ssh2, but with ssh1 it's a piece o' cake to use oddball
ports on both server and client.

A couple of jobs back I set up ssh access to a dmz host that was the sandbox
for java{,script} applets in browsers; they were stripped at the firewall, but
for people dead set on playing with such toys there was a play box in the dmz.
The menu item they used to pull up the play browser invoked ssh to a specific
port (but not the ssh port, some other port configured in, that I picked when
I set this up) on the firewall. The firewall ran a plug-gw that forwarded it
to port 22 on the dmz sandbox. Worked like a champ.

I don't expect I'll be using ssh2 until lsh comes of age.

-Bennett