Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Blocking ICQ

From: "Kertesz, Imre" <ikertesz () ASEC-MD2 COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:30:00 -0500

Far be it for me to criticize your approach, but the problem could be
handled more effectively, not to mention proactively, with a recognized and
enforced security policy prohibiting the use of such applications. Even if
you block the default ports, anyone with half-a-head of protocol knowledge
can bypass the restrictions, tunnel contraband traffic through (for example)
port 80, proxy a secure tunnel to an anonymizer, etc, etc.

.. Just a thought.

 -IK

Imre Kertesz III
Senior Consultant