Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Secure Webcasting - Tunneling Multicasts

From: "Joe Ippolito" <joe () joesnet com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 19:52:21 -0800

There has much interest within my organization regarding collaboration and
webcasting services.  My concern has been the lack security in hosting
webconference meetings on a third party server.  They may use some
user-level security but the information is passed in the clear over the Net.
You must also trust the third party with your sensitive information if so
choose to post it there.

Hosting it on an internal server and allowing remote sites with VPNs access
can present you with some serious bandwidth concerns.  The question is:  Can
FW1 tunnel multicast packets within its IPSec tunnels?  In other words, can
I include a multicast address in the encryption domain for all sites?  Am I
headed for a encrypted multi-cluster bit-bucket fast?