Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: dns outbound

From: Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 16:52:52 -0700 (PDT)

--- wyllys () reston wcom net wrote:
On 16 May, Robert Graham wrote:
Why the heck would clients need external access to DNS servers?

There are plenty of reasons why internal machines need to resolve
external names.

The original question was not resolving DNS, but actually sending DNS packets
from inside the corporation out to the Internet (bypassing any local DNS
'proxies', if we think of DNS in the same terms as other protocols).

Some management platforms might want to do this, such as when they set the
"don't recurse" bit in order to check the health of DNS systems. There may also
exist some weird software that bypasses gethostbyname() and does its own DNS
protocol work -- involving starting at the root servers and following them on
down. I can't think of any other application that would want to do this,
though.

I suspect the original query had much the same misunderstanding: people want to
do lookups/reverse lookups, and therefore asked for DNS packets through the
firewall. The probably don't need a firewall, and just want a DNS 'proxy' set
up.

Rob.