Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: httptunnel

From: Wyllys Ingersoll <wyllys () reston wcom net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:21:15 -0500

On Wed, Mar 24, 1999 at 11:26:28AM -0500, youngk () ttc com wrote:
We currently do not use proxy authentication for HTTP requests
which originate internally.  May change that.  I presume that
that could help thwart a covert trojan program trying to get
out w/ HTTP.  Thoughts?

Simple... just have the trojan horse wait a couple of seconds after
Netscape/IE is opened. By that time, the user would have authenticated with
the firewall. Since most people have a time window before they have to
re-authenticate, the trojan horse would be able to run during this time.
Even single-use password systems would be vulnerable due to that time
frame.

I dont think this is correct.  When a proxy requests "proxy authentication"
credentials from a client, that client will send the authentication
header to the proxy with every single request it sends from that point
on (or until the user changes the proxy settings).  Waiting a couple
of seconds and then trying to send an unauthenticated request will
just make the proxy ask for it again, it will not pass it through.

Only firewalls which authenticate every time you retrieve a file from
outside the domain which you authenticated against would be safe. However,
I think that due to the fact that many web pages now have links to graphics
on advertisement networks (which would cause you to re-authenticate several
times as it downloads the different graphics), very few people have this
kind of setup.

Any firewall or non-firewall proxy that does true HTTP Proxy-Authentication
will require the "Proxy-Authorization:" header field be in every
request, that is how it is defined by the HTTP RFC.  A truly secure
proxy should not be caching the credentials and allowing unauthenticated
requests to go thru.

--
 Wyllys Ingersoll
 UUNET (MCI Worldcom)