Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: httptunnel

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 21:56:46 -0500

In message <Pine.GSO.4.05.9903231102580.7131-100000@elvis>, Ken Hardy writes:
See http://www.nocrew.org/software/httptunnel.html for a great
little piece of software.  Works through your existing HTTP
proxy to render your firewall meaningless.  (I've been waiting
for something like BackOrifice to use HTTP instead of UDP for
its remote control session.)

We currently do not use proxy authentication for HTTP requests
which originate internally.  May change that.  I presume that
that could help thwart a covert trojan program trying to get
out w/ HTTP.  Thoughts?  I also presume that coders of httptunnel
could easily build in proxy authentication for users who intend
to install it on their desktop for some purpose, so it cannot
be a panacea.

Firewalls are based on two fundamental assumptions:  that anyone on the
outside may be bad, and that all actors on the inside are good.  If the latter
assumption is false, your firewall is useless.

Once upon a time, the inside "actors" referred to people.  In an era
of mobile code -- mobile in the sense of both Java/ActiveX and in reference
to outside code that is installed -- the word refers to the such programs
as well.

Here we have a piece of "malware" -- code designed to subvert administrative
policy.  Although perhaps in theory it could be installed by, say, a Makefile
in some popular package, or by a Trojan horse in something you run, most
likely it would be deliberately installed by someone who doesn't like
the firewall.  But the difference isn't that important -- what matters is
that either is a bad actor on the inside.  The precise tunnel chosen isn't
that interesting, either -- years ago, as I recall, Marcus implemented IP
over DNS and IP over email ("the round trip time is pretty long, but
you have a really large MTU").  *Any* bidirectional channel can be used as
a tunnel -- and if your users are hell-bent on getting around your firewall,
they're going to.  *Maybe* you can use traffic analysis to find such things,
but then you're in a serious arms race.  You can't use technical means
to enforce a stricter security policy than your organizational culture
will support, though human means, such as a chat with management, may work.
(Aside:  a few years ago, I gave a talk at an Agency.  Over lunch, I made
that same observation to my hosts, and observed that at least they worked
in a place where the organizational culture understood the need for security.
I got these pained looks, before someone said, "well, parts of the organization
understand it".)