Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Content blocking - Singapore seems to manage??

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () cse ogi edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 16:17:06 -0700

Alan Lustiger wrote:

This was an effective deterrent in one place I worked, but it is not the most scalable solution....

Client machines were named in such a way that it was obvious who owned each machine.

The proxy logs were available to all.

An announcement went out that everyone can see where everyone else is surfing, and the URL
of the proxy logs was given to all.

The drop-off of inappropriate surfing was astonishing...:-)

Problem with this approach:  HTML-aware mail clients and spam.

I frequently get porno spam.  The spam often is in the form of an HTML document, which naturally
hyper-links to graphics on the porno site.  This would cause my machine to appear to be surfing
inappropriate sites, just because I opened some junk mail.  Not clicked on the links, just opened the
mail.

Observation:  a proxy log showing hits to an inappropriate site is NOT prima facie evidence of
inappropriate surfing, unless the proxy is smart enough to distinguish loading an HTML e-mail from
proactive surfing.

Crispin
-----
 Crispin Cowan, Research Assistant Professor of Computer Science, OGI
    NEW:  Protect Your Linux Host with StackGuard'd Programs  :FREE
       http://www.cse.ogi.edu/DISC/projects/immunix/StackGuard/

              Microsoft:  Putting the "lame" in "layman"