Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Content blocking - Singapore seems to manage??

From: "Desai, Ashish" <Ashish.Desai () fmr com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:40:30 -0400

      [Kunz, Peter]  What are the legal implications of this in the US or
elsewhere? In EUrope, you'd probably have a hard time as HR going to the
Admin to look at logs protected by data protection laws.
        [Kunz, Peter]  Another interesting point: Hopw do you get authority
        to scan local machines? Disclaimer upon employment taht everythign
is
        company owned?

        In the US its the employee agreement that governs access to the
data.
        (The employee pretty much gives up ALL their rights!)

        You just have to make sure HR and the legal dept know what you are
doing.
        (And don't abuse these rights).
        Also when we investigate someone there are times
        when even the managers of the employees are not made aware
        of the investigation.

        What's going to get interesting is when we have our international
        sites going thru our systems and us having to investigate them.
        The employee might have privacy in the EU but the logs reside in
        the US. (Just like EU ISP data bouncing off the US networks).

      [Kunz, Peter]  At least ONE company reacting.

        Its no fun!

        Ashish