Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Scare Me !!

From: Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:17:20 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ken Hardy <ken () bridge com> wrote:
I need to induce a healthy respect for Internet dangers into
some folks around here.  I know the dangers, or enough of them,
but it's wearing to try to educate one after another exec,
network tech, etc.

The average @Home subscriber is getting scanned by hackers about once
per day (looking for Back Orifice, open shares, open services). The
average dialup user gets scanned by hackers about once every couple
weeks. In any case, 80% of hacker losses are due to INSIDER hacking,
not from the Internet.

In addition to the regular sort of security literature, a list
of real-life (or very possible) security incidents that could
help foster a healthy respect for the potential dangers might
be real useful.  An internet shop of horrors website, perhaps.
I'd appreciate anything useful in this regard.

http://www.networkice.com/advICE/News
Contains a database of about 1000 news articles of hacking events.

http://www.gocsi.com/
The Computer Security Institute contains lots of statistical
information, such as the fact that 80% of corporate losses due to
hackign are from INSIDERS.

a) we have a firewall so we're safe;

A recent study found that 30% of large companies with firewalls were
hacked anyway. Also, 80% of losses due to hacking are from INSIDERS
that never get close to a firewall. In any case, ask all the
ExplorerZip and Melissa victims how well the firewall protected them.

b) a packet filter is a firewall

The last wave of ColdFusion hacks and the coming wave of IIS4 hacks all
happen through port 80, meaning a packet filter provides zero
protection for these web servers.

c) desktop modems are nothing to worry about

Duh. The first thing a security audting company will do is a war dial
against you company. A huge number of desktop modems are left
accidentally exposed, and they usually give complete access to the
network.

Rob.