Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Forrester Research foresees death of firewalls

From: Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 21:09:26 -0700 (PDT)

--- Rick Smith <rick_smith () securecomputing com> wrote:
They deserve their revenge, since security products have tended to be
excessively authoritarian in tone, and they've had enough of it. I
suspect
we're headed for a period of much greater risk taking, until people
get
sick of having their sites hacked. Once everyone has been hacked a
few
times we might see some interest in serious security.

This reminds me of a lecture I once attended about bridge building. The
idea is that bridges are always overbuilt in a very conservative
manner.

As time goes on, builders gain confidence (because none of the bridges
are failing) and take more risks (fewer materials, longer spans, etc.)
until POOF a bridge fails, then the go back into conservative mode.

I predict companies go through this same cycle. People get more and
more fed up with the authoritarian, conservative attitude of the
security admins and demand more and more "exciting" applications until
POOF they are hacked, then they duck their heads down again for a
couple years.

Rob.