Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: NAT

From: sean.kelly () lanston com
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:45:31 -0400

I am trying to put a firewall up and my ISPs suggestions seem
to conflict
with my documentation. We are going to put a public web
server behind the
firewall.

Why?

From what I have read we have to use NAT so that
people on the
internet can access sites hosted on this server.

This depends on the IP address you use.  If it is a public IP then you don't
need to use NAT, if it part of the block of IPs designated for internal use
(the 192.168.x.x class B is a popular block) then you will.

The documentation says:

Many routers must be configured so that the router uses a
subnet mask that
is greater than or equal to the firewall's subnet mask.

Basically, this means that if your firewall protects the subnet 192.168.0.x,
then the router has to route at least the traffic for that subnnet to the
firewall.  It's just a tech way of overstating the obvious.

If the public IP of web server is not the same as the
firewall's non-secure
IP, then the router must be configured such that it routes
traffic for the
web server via the firewall's non-secure IP address.

This is getting into how to set up NAT for public access to a facility
behind the firewall.  In the case of a webserver, I really can't think of a
reason you would want to put it behind the firewall.  This is generally a
bad idea.

                      The NAT pool will use
                      209.51.10.192/26
                      209.51.10.160/27
                      209.51.10.144/28
                      209.51.10.136/29

This is for ppl inside the firewall to be able to surf the net as well as
for your webserver I assume.  Sounds fine.

The router is currently configured at 209.51.10.128/25.  My
ISP says that I
do not have to do anything to the router for the firewall to
work.  They
also said the Public port of the firewall will respond to all
of the IP
addresses that are in the NAT pool.

This should all be true.  Again, my only question remains "why do you want
to put a public webserver inside your firewall?"  Other than that, it all
seems like it should work.

Sean