Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The devil's in the details

From: Tina Lamias <tina.lamias () motorola com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 18:23:38 -0700

Christopher,

But the 'span' does not allow you to send a reset to any *bad*
connection attempt does it?? I believe this is why we had to go with a
hub in a certain instance...we could 'watch' but not 'act.'

--Tina
czarcone () rpm com wrote:

Matt,

Some switch manufacturer *did* think of this ahead of time. Cisco's Catalyst
series of switches has a neat feature called "span" (not to be confused with
Spanning Tree). "span" does exactly what you're looking for; it redirects all
transmit/receive traffic from any switched port to any other switched port.
Highly useful for sniffing, and by extension, Intrusion Detection Systems.

So, let's say you're on a Catalyst, and you want to direct all traffic from
Ethernet slot4/port7 to Ethernet slot6/port12. You would enter the switch's
enable mode and type:

set span 4/7 6/12

Note that the source port (the port you want to sniff) comes first and the
destination port (the port where your sniffer/IDS is listening) comes second.
DON'T REVERSE THE ORDER OF THE PORTS. The result of reversing the ports should
be obvious. (This once happened to a friend of mine. The results were comical to
say the least).

You can also span an entire VLAN if you have defined one on the switch. This
might allow you to sniff, say, your entire perimeter network, not just a single
firewall interface. In theory, the aggregated bandwidth of an entire VLAN can
outpace a single port, in which case you could potentially lose some packets. It
really depends on the configuration of your VLANs, the size of VLAN broadcast
domains, the bandwidth of your firewall's ISP connection, your site usage
patterns, etc. You also need to consider the efficiency of your IDS's NIC, not
all NICs are created equal.

If you want to sniff an *entire* switch (and switches like the Catalyst can be
pretty densely populated) you might need those Gigabit blades after all...

Regards,

Christopher Zarcone
Network Security Consultant
RPM Consulting, Inc.