Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: The devil's in the details

From: "Brian W. Laing" <BLAING () iss net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 12:04:25 +0100

Matt,

        I have written a 1 page doc on this if you would like it just drop me an
email.  However switch manufactures have thought of this it is generally
called a span or mirror port, you can also use devices called taps.
        All of these soltutions suffer from the fact that you will need to
consolodate several connections into the IDS.  This is where the "good luck"
laugh comes from.  Taking several 100mbps ports and funneling them down to a
single 100mbps can lead to all kinds of interesting things happenings.  It
can be done depending on the network utilization and other variables, but
you could end up with drop packets due to an overload in the total number of
packets per second.

Cheers,
Brian