Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: ODBC in DMZ

From: sean.kelly () lanston com
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:33:34 -0400

From: C. K. Lung [mailto:clung () hotmail com]

A user needs to use ODBC access a program in DMZ.  Do I need
to open ports
or/and socket to allow the access?  What kind of security
risk it would
post?  Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I'm fairly sure it depends on the means of access.  If it's a MSSQL server
providing tcp/ip access, it will default to port 1433 on the server.  You
can specify that you want to make a tcp/ip connection in the odbc config.
If it's some other situation... I'm not sure offhand but I'll bet there are
a ton of articles in the microsoft knowledge base.  The security risk would
depend on what you had to open up, but assuming it is access to a port on an
sql server then you are potentially making access to that server available
to the world (though they'd still have to figure out a username/password to
do anything).

Sean