Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: High availability

From: "Andrew J. Luca" <andrewluca () mediaone net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 12:23:15 -0400

Sandy,

        We did this at a previous employer of mine.  Basically, there are two
problems that you have to solve.  First, you have to get the boxes to look
like the recently failed box from the network perpspective.  This is pretty
easy since it is a built-in function of the HA software.  The second problem
is getting the firewall configuration to look like the other box.  We
produced two versions of the firewall rules table for the box.  The first
version -- the normal operation version -- had the rules for the single
active interface box.  The second version of the file had a combined
configuration of the two files.  During the takeover process, the second
version was swapped in and the rules reloaded.

        The files were a pain to administer but it worked really well.  You can
build something simpler by yourself but the HA package has some nice
features.  We were using the Veritas HA package which could handle the
systems going down and coming back up on their own.

        If you want more information, I think that I have some configuration
diagrams kicking around somewhere.

Drew