Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: password mgmt

From: sean.kelly () lanston com
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 14:17:08 -0500

A better alternative is to use an encryption package. I've
heard people say
good things about a product called "ReadIt" that runs under
HackMaster. It
has an optional encryption module that uses 128 bit IDEA, and
it hashes
passphrases to generate keys. While this still isn't the
strongest thing in
the world (many peoples' passphrases will probably turn out
to be their
kids' names) it's worlds better than native Palm security.

I recently downloaded an app called "Safe."
(http://palm.pair.com/palmsafe.html)  It's free, the source code is avaible
for public review, uses triple-DES, and operates on memos in the MemoPad.
Downside is that it doesn't have a PC-based portion, but I don't think it
should be that hard to get a triple-DES package for the PC that could
decrypt the files.  It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of other
apps, but the fact that it uses a good encryption scheme and the author is
actually confident enough to make the source code available sold it for me.

Sean