Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Looking for "lease based popper access"

From: kwooding () codetalker com
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:03:18 -0700

The purpose of limiting access based on IP address is NOT authentication.

Imagine that a new "sploit" for POP (or SSH) is unleashed at 5:15pm, after
most of my competitors have gone home for the weekend. While they are
being decimated all weekend long, I'll be resting peacefully because most
of the hackers can't even connect to my server.

In physical terms, the "border router" is the moat, "dynamic" tcp wrappers
is the drawbridge, and the "secret pass phrase" is the key.

True, but Crispin's suggestion of using SSH for this purpose is just
as valid. That way you can limit access to localhost. No need to futz with
IP addresses at all...

And, as suggested before, and SSL approach would work, too. Just give
each of your road warriors a valid certificate and authenticate on that.

-kj