Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: FW1 on NT and setting the external interface

From: "Joe Ippolito" <joe () joesnet com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 23:40:52 -0700

All you need is the name of the NIC.  Do an ipconfig and copy the text for
just the NIC name.  For example:

C:\>ipconfig

Windows NT IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter E100B1:

        IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 1.0.0.1
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . : 1.0.0.2

Ethernet adapter E100B2:

        IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 2.0.0.1
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . :

If the external interface has the 1.0.0.1 address on an Intel Pro 100b you
would simply put nothing but "E100B1" in the external.if file without the
quotes.  If it was the third 3COM 3c905 it would look something like "El903"
(I believe).  The gotcha on the 3COM is that it is a lower case "L" not the
number one.  That is why I say to copy and paste it just like you probably
do with Check Point's license keys.  That is if you are a less than perfect
typsit like me.  :-)