Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: "Dropsafe" logs

From: Bret McDanel <bret () rehost com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 15:19:27 -0400

---Reply on mail from Steven M. Bellovin about "Dropsafe" logs

There's certainly some ambiguity in the original request, and your reading
may be closer to the intent than mine was.  I'll defend myself by noting
that the rest of my response suggested a $500 Linux box.  The medium
itself isn't write-once, but the service is.

Additionally you can get an OS that is free and has attributes that allow
for file appending only, and require going into a non networked 'secure'
mode to change that attribute..  I dont know if linux supports this
attribute (and requires some secure level setting that typically inhibits
network access) however it would prevent deleting logs, but not appending
useless inaccurate friviolous logs that would fill the disk..

--
Bret McDanel                                    http://www.rehost.com
Realistic Technologies, Inc.                             973-514-1144

     These opinions are mine, and may not be the same as my employer