Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: "Dropsafe" logs

From: Bret McDanel <bret () rehost com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:05:21 -0400

---Reply on mail from Steven M. Bellovin about "Dropsafe" logs

In message <199904081003.KAA12670 () idc057 IDC CTBTO ORG>, Scott Crawford writes:
Greetings --

We are seeking a means to implement real-time write-once "dropsafe" logs of o
ur
firewall bastion in case of a system failure or a hacker trying to cover thei
tracks.  Unfortunately, unless there's an alternative I'm not aware of, a CD-
requires a complete disk image in ISO 9660 format to be burned into the
writeable disk all at once, which means we either have to wait until we have
nearly 640 MB of logfiles to write or waste an awful lot of writeable disk
space.

You may need to redefine "waste".  30 seconds looking at the Web
shows a 3.2G IDE drive for ~$100, and 9G UltraSCSI for $400.

Thought he said 'waste' in reference to CD roms..  Using a CD-R to record
logs - as he indicated - requires that you build a filesystem image then
burn that image.

He also said that he wants 'write-once "dropsafe" logs' which implies that
you cant use a HD in that example as they are rewritable (unless there is
a mechanical switch on them that conects a jumper and lets you toggle
read/write however that isnt as automated as some desire).

--
Bret McDanel                                    http://www.rehost.com
Realistic Technologies, Inc.                             973-514-1144

     These opinions are mine, and may not be the same as my employer