Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: "Re: a fun new tool from us... & 'Today's occurances' "

From: pmsac <pmsac () camoes rnl ist utl pt>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 19:13:50 +0100 (WET DST)

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Paul D. Robertson wrote:

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Kaptain wrote:

FWIW, ns1.pbi.net and ns2.pbi.net show the same address, that's a no-no.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Paul, pardon my ignorance, but why is this a no-no.  Wouldn't you want any
authoritative sources to show the same address for the same location?
Maybe I'm just missing somethin...

        A typical case of magic: hands faster than the eyes.
 ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
 ns1.pbi.net.            1d23h56m40s IN A  206.13.28.11
 ns2.pbi.net.            1d23h56m40s IN A  206.13.29.11

        They do not, in fact, show the same address. 28 != 29.
        Altough I agree with the follow up, there are exceptions.
        Small businesses do not care having only one ns on their end:
        if their net goes down, there's no point in resolving IPs for
        machines that are down (or unreacheable). Just my 0.02$

The whole idea of requiring (at least) two authoritative nameservers for a
zone instead of one is so that if there's a server or network failure, the
zone doesn't disappear off the net.  Both servers should be on completely
different networks, let alone different machines, let alone at different
addresses.

If this were kosher, then the requirement to have two nameservers for a
zone would be lifted.  It seems that pbi.net, pacbell.net, and the
reverse zones all live on this same single nameserver on a single
ethernet interface, talk about apparent single points of failure (assuming
that it's not behind distributed director - but even then it's served from a
single autonomous system in a single advertisement.)

Why even give it two names?  It would *appear* that the second name was
added to get around the requirement for having two nameservers.  I'd
_hope_ that's not true, and I'd _hope_ that someone with a clue were
building out scalable redundant infrastructure for high-speed networks,
but it doesn't _seem_ to be the case.  If I was their customer, I'd be
making phone calls.

It's bad enough that it's an apparant bastardization of the requirement
for two authoritative nameservers, were I an attacker, this type of single
point of failure is something that I'd be looking closely at, but
Murphy of "Murphy's law" is more likely to cause trouble here.  If it's
behind something like Distributed Director, and they're privately peering with
or colo'd in a place privately peering with several tier-1's, then it *might*
be ok.  I can't imagine it would hurt them to advertise a second
authoritative server on a different network though.

When I build out infrastructure like nameservers, I *want* redundancy, at
least two boxes, on two networks, advertised from two different AS',
located at two different facilities, using two different providers with
two different wireline carriers...  I probably don't have anywhere near
the number of users that US West has.

 Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280

        --
        Cavaca, P.
        pmsac () camoes rnl ist utl pt