Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Network cables as security devices

From: Dominique Brezinski <dom_brezinski () securecomputing com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 16:26:26 -0500

At 11:24 PM 9/27/98 +0200, Kevin Steves wrote:
I've thought of doing this, and it may make sense in certain topologies,
but I would be extremely wary about using this approach in a layered
perimiter architecture, as it could permit an attacker to bypass chunks
of the perimeter.  For example, if you have border<->gw0<->gw1<->choke
in series, and they're all tied to a shared logging net, a compromise of
border may be used to bypass gw0 and gw1 to get to choke.

Absolutely. No argument there.

It's not entirely clear if this is what you were proposing, but I wanted
to point it out.  As always, the devil is in the details.

True true. No, separate logging networks for each isolated network is what
I intended. You make a very good point though.

Dominique Brezinski CISSP                   (612)628-5378
Secure Computing        http://www.securecomputing.com