Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Apology - not necessary

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 09:35:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 26 Sep 1998, Paul D. Robertson wrote:

I don't remember the first (and it could have been .gov, not .mil - I
honestly don't remember), but the second was Defense Logistics Agency
(Carlisle Barracks, Carlisle Pennsylvania).

Whoops, I misplaced them!  Off to the old fogies home for me.  At least I
didn't put them at Fort Indiantown Gap *sigh*

While there may be a perfectly innocent reason for it, (or maybe they listened
to the rumors) it was certainly suspicious enough to fuel quite a bit of
"why-the-heck-would-they-buy-it-then-not-install-it?" speculation.

My understanding of the DLA event was that a higher command halted the
scheduled installation of FW-1 within 3 weeks of the scheduled install date to
replace it with a different product.  This was after sending the site's
administrators to FW-1 training.  When I was in the military, I know what that
would indicate to me, and I still find that metric to be the most appropriate
to apply in this case, Your Paranoia May Vary.

I've been told that FW-1 was installed after all, so I guess I'm guilty of
vicious rumor-mongering :(  Since I don't have the details of the second
site, I'll retract everything I said about aborted installations.  I'll
hold my toungue on everything else closely related.

I'm perfectly willing to let you test the one I've heard of

This offer to mjr still stands.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280