Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Cisco Firewall IOS question

From: Leonard Miyata <leonard () geminisecure com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 13:28:04 -0700 (PDT)

Lets See Now...

GRE: There is no provision for encryption of GRE packets (check the RFC),
however, some protococols that use GRE do support encryption. As an
example, Microsoft PPTP (tunneled serial link) uses GRE over IP for
packet transport, but the encryption is a part of PPTP not GRE.

L2TP: There is no provision for encryption. The current draft assumes
that confidentiality will be provided by IPSEC packet encryption.

L2F: ???

No doubt that the Cisco box suports IPSEC. With IPSEC enabled, you can
secure anything via tunneled IP over IPSEC. Now if we only had a working
PKI to solve the key management/distribution problem....

Personal Opinions Provided by
Leonard Miyata
aka leonard () geminisecure com