Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recording slow scans

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 09:31:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Darren Reed wrote:

Something that this "slow scan" business brings to mind is that there is
now an appropriate tool to use for detecting this - NFR - although I'm

Yep, NFR seems ideally suited to the task.

guessing more people are seeing it as a means to implement an IDS.  Is
anyone using NFR for the purpose of generating "long" histories and then
examining those as a whole rather than using it to look for current events ?

Not yet, but once I get the time to implement, I'm going to be doing this.

IDS's are more into answering the question of "is someone breaking in now ?"
and seem to provide little (if any) capability for doing real statistical
analysis of data.  Is anyone pumping IDS or NFR data into a real database
(Oracle, etc) for later analysis ?

I've just got Sybase for Linux (what a download!) on a home system, and I
expect to upgrade my FreeBSD box next to it so that I can start playing
with it.  If anyone's gotten further, I'm interested in hearing about it.

There's one other important issue to this and that is to keep track of all
IP and port pairs which communicate, regardless of TCP flags, etc.  Whether
or not your paranoia requires that level of effort is another thing...

I think that if you can aggragate the data sufficiently to not run out of
space, it's worth having around.  I'm hoping that an NFR/DB combination
will give me that.

Btw, in the past people have often commented about attempts to cut the
transmit ethernet cable.  This is usually so that a host is "invisible"
to others at the ethernet level.  A recent acquisition of mine has been
a UTP Y-adapter (2 sockets, 1 plug) which has an interesting side-effect
of not allowing the two machines connected into the sockets to communicate
_directly_ but they can both use it to communicate to/through whatever is
being plugged into.  Not perfect but an interesting toy to play with for
these purposes.

Ah, I've been looking at just ripping the transmit code out of a kernel,
esp. for a syslog-only host.  Static ARP that sucker and let fly.

As an aside, has anyone looked into issues for broad- or multicast syslog?
That might make for interesting syslog redundancy and bypass the ARP issue...

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280