Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: An ethernet frame with two IP packets inside?

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry () piermont com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 15:02:29 -0500

Keller writes:
what happens if one ethernet frame contains two IP packets?

I know, it *shouldn't* happen, but I could construct one, right?

As you can put any data you like into a datagram, you could place the
contents of two short IP datagrams into one ethernet frame, yes.

How will different tcpip stacks deal with the second IP packet?

The IP stack will never see or care about the "second" IP packet
because the "second" IP packet will be regarded by the protocol stacks
as garbage at the end of the first datagram.

Perry