Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: An ethernet frame with two IP packets inside?

From: Gigi Sullivan <sullivan () seclab com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 14:26:40 +0100 (CET)

Hello there :)

On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, Keller wrote:

Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 01:51:39 +0200
From: Keller <keller () wiesbaden netsurf de>
To: "firewall-wizards () nfr net" <firewall-wizards () nfr net>
Subject: An ethernet frame with two IP packets inside?

Hi gurus and beardy wizards,

what happens if one ethernet frame contains two IP packets?

I know, it *shouldn't* happen, but I could construct one, right?

Yes, and obviously it's not hard to do it.

How will different tcpip stacks deal with the second IP packet?

Well, if you build two ip packet into one ethernet frame, it *shouldn't*
be a problem. I.e. when the IP layer has to multiplex the incoming
datagram to see to which layer it has to pass the datagram to, it simply
check out the ip_p field and *I guess* that if it finds IPPROTO_IP it
should drops the packet.

Er .. this is what I think. I've never looked at the code yet.
And it should be interesting imho :)

Could it slip through the filtering rules on some
routers?
Could it slip past static pattern matching firewalls (FW-1?)
?

Any ideas or pointers are greatly appreciated..

Cheers!

Stefan Keller

p.s.:
I'm aware that it would imply that the attacker sits directly
in front of the router/firewall server/whatever..
Then again, he could sit on a (compromised) Linux web server
with .. let's say SPAK.. downloaded to that machine.

Cheers:)

Bye bye

                        -- gg sullivan

--
Lorenzo Cavallaro
Intesis SECURITY LAB            Phone: +39-2-671563.1