Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: future of IDS

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 16:31:05 +1000 (EST)

With the likelihood that more and more hubs are going to
disappear and be replaced by switches, where does that leave the humble
IDS that can no longer see all the traffic it needs to, to do its job?

Something which just occurred to me, switches are `meant' to be able to
switch such that full speed communications are kept between any two nodes
on the switch without taking bandwidth away from other pairs.

If you have a switch with 24 ports for 100BaseT, can you then push 1.2Gb/s
through it ?  Or is that just the `gigabit' hubs ?  The problem is, that
if you have a single 100BaseT monitor port, either than throughput for the
entire switch is 100BaseT (serious reduction in performance) or you lose
packets on the monitor port.

THe IDS folks have been aware of this pending problem for a while.
The basic approaches are (1) use an explicit tap on the switch

see above.

(2) build the IDS into the switch (or get the switch to cooperate with
the IDS),

there are some interesting performance problems to be considered here.

(3) get the end hosts to chip in and function as IDS sensors.

Similar to the recent COAST project announcement for AAFID ?

In environments where high speed networking is in place (HIPPI, ATM, FDDI)
I think a combination of network based and host based is going to be
necessary.

Darren