Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: future of IDS

From: "Choi, Byoung" <bchoi () visa com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 16:19:02 -0700

some alternatives i have looked into:

1.   use switch's port mirroring (there's some issue regarding bandwidth
though - how do you mirror multiple 100Mb/s ports into a single 100Mb/s
port?  i am not sure how switches deal with it)
2.   choke the traffic into a single channel and sneak in a hub just for the
purpose of sniffing
3.   choke the traffic into a single channel and use a tap device