Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Lotus Notes question

From: Jan.Bervar () nil si
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 11:06:10 +0200

Jan Bervar@NIL
05/22/98 11:06 AM

On 21-05-98 10:07:54 PM "Ge' Weijers"  wrote:
A quick question: does Lotus Notes use only one connection
between the client and the server? According to what I've found on Lotus'
web site you only need to allow access to port 1352, but I've gotten this
strange message from a client.....

Notes can use multiple TCP connections for a Notes session, but they are
always going to destination port 1352 from some high source port. This is
the case in both server-to-server and client-to-server connections, so
filtering Notes is no big deal. The only problem is that you cannot filter
on any of the RPC stuff, because everything is mux-ed inside those TCP
connections.

Also make sure your name translation (Notes->DNS) is working (hint: NAB or
Mobile->Server Phone Numbers).

Best regards,
Jan