Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: working on a new syslogd.

From: Bennett Todd <bet () mordor net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 13:56:53 -0400

1998-07-03-04:08:41 Darren Reed:
Over the past few months, I've spent some time (increasingly less
recently :-() on writing a new syslogd.

Sounds like a desperately needed project. When I spoke with Carson Gaspar at
the last USENIX Security Symposium he was thinking out the design of a syslogd
replacement, tentatively dubbed SMD (System Message Daemon, or perhaps Syslog
Must Die). I don't think he's gotten to shippable code yet, though.

One idea he had I sure hope gets adopted by whoever does complete this one: we
need a new protocol. Sure, keep support for the evil old UDP protocol, but add
a new TCP one, so once we get the new daemon rolled out everywhere we can stop
losing messages all over the place.

-Bennett