Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: fwtk and ftp from behind of fw-1

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () clark net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 21:50:03 -0400 (EDT)

Rick Murphy wrote:
The FTP RFC specifies a default data port - port 20 - in the privileged
range. The ftp-gw uses a random high-numbered port.

I did this because there are still sites (and apparently
products!) that are foolish enough to base their security
policy on the priv'd port-ness of ftpd.

The scary thing is that having ftpd send its data from a
privileged port makes FTP bounce attacks totally lethal.
Fortunately "we" got the BSD folks to fix that stuff in
the remote user check routines (ruserok()) for rlogind
but it's hard to know what other applications assume
that a privileged port is "secure"  :(

I.e.: I broke it, and I won't apologize.  :)

mjr.