Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN and firewalls

From: Aleph One <aleph1 () dfw dfw net>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 13:17:22 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 7 Feb 1998, Linwood Ferguson wrote:

I did get some warnings about whether it was really secure (if you search
the archives you will see some discussion).  I listened (really), but decided
it was worth the risk in our case.  Your milage may vary of course.

I guess I'll add to the fire. PPTP can be make to leak part of the bit
stream. The next version of L0phtcrack will also crack the PPTP c/r. On a
fast machine a brute force can take as little as a few days.

    - Linwood
Linwood Ferguson                  e-mail: ferguson () mag aramark com
Director, Software Engineering    Voice:  (US) 540/967-0087
ARAMARK Mag & Book Services

Aleph One / aleph1 () dfw net
http://underground.org/
KeyID 1024/948FD6B5
Fingerprint EE C9 E8 AA CB AF 09 61  8C 39 EA 47 A8 6A B8 01