Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN and firewalls

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 21:35:05 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Rik Farrow wrote:

I am curious about why people are choosing VPN solutions which
are independent of firewalls, for example, Aventail or TimeStep.

Well, I'd choose it if I had to pass that VPN traffic through an
application layer gateway, and wanted to clearly delineate that traffic
as it hit the firewall, put it past an IDS, or if my end of the VPN had
to be under the control of the operations staff, or if there was enough
change (keys or files) on that gateway that I didn't want to have to
constantly audit the bastion host.

Do people poke these streams through their firewalls?

I sure wouldn't.

Is it a matter of performance?

That's an argument to be made for off-bastion VPNing.

Why pay extra for VPN capability which is already included in many firewalls?

Maybe the included solution isn't as auditable, or doesn't have strong
enough crypto?

I am looking for answers from people who have tried both methods:  using
the VPN as standalone product or bundled with their firewall.

I'm just throwing out answers off the top of my head, I've been
successful so far in having to extend my security boundaries with VPNs,
dial-up is bad enough...

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280