Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Important Comments re: INtrusion Detection

From: Aleph One <aleph1 () dfw dfw net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 20:40:31 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Paul M. Cardon wrote:

While a proxy CAN obtain much of that information, we are left providing
protection only at the network perimeter so any internal attacks can once
again be carried out undetected.

Uggh.  This is looking to be a familiar scenario: networks with a hard,
crunchy shell at the network perimeter and a soft, chewy middle where the
INTERNAL threat protection provided to internal hosts is inadequate.

Does this mean that ID needs to be done at the host level or in other words
at every connection end-point?  What other possibilities do we have?  I think
we've seen similar questions before.  The problems with that approach are
one of the reasons why we have firewalls in the first place.

This situation creates a whole new line of products for the IDS industry.
In particular an IDS built on top of a LAN switch that normalizes traffic.
Very similar in concept to and IDS built on top of a firewall that
normalizes traffic. The issue is that we have to move away from broadcast
networks.

Such systems could be designed do distribute the load of intrusion
detection. If a session flows through two or more devices that can perform
IDS processing (firewall, switch, etc) then they can cordinate such that
only one needs to do the work.

I can see Cisco buying some small IDS company and incorporating such
feature on their high end Catalys switches.

Who said there are no new business opportunities in the security market?
;)

Aleph One / aleph1 () dfw net
http://underground.org/
KeyID 1024/948FD6B5
Fingerprint EE C9 E8 AA CB AF 09 61  8C 39 EA 47 A8 6A B8 01