Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Web server inside the firewall

From: tyrrell () foremost com
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 11:02:17 -0500

I may not have been clear in my description. The webserver, which currently
resides in the DMZ, hosts a site that is publicly available, both to
EXTERNAL and INTERNAL users. Internal users must go out through the firewall
to access the site. The SQL data is RO, not really confidential and pretty
much static. Internal users must also have access to the data.

Since I posted my question I have decided to "just say NO" to the whole
idea. The web server will stay outside, where it belongs. A copy of the SQL
data will be stuck on the outside and will be updated via FTP from the
internal DB server when the need arises. And I don't have to find another
job.

The whole idea of putting the webserver behind the firewall came from the
web admin group. They had been looking into web hosting services and were
told by one vendor they have all their servers on the farm are behind a
firewall, for "added security." When I looked into this further it turns out
there is no firewall. The vendor is using  switches to segregate the
webservers.

Thanks,

Kevin Tyrrell