Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Screening Outgoing Mail for Content

From: Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy () auss2 alcatel com au>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 07:59:42 +1000

On Thu, 06 Aug 1998 03:39:18 +1000, Wilson Roberto Afonso <wilson () zaz com br> wrote:
On the other hand, if you are paranoid/determined enough, you might just
block whatever you cannot screen.  So, binary attachments are out, just
as uuencoded files etc.
That would be a logical starting point.

It still wouldn't catch text-based steganography.  Just because a
message appears to be a discussion of the relative merits of different
baseball pitchers (or whatever) doesn't mean that it doesn't also
contain the companies master keys (or whatever).

 Might still not be a 100% safe without hand screening, though.
I'm not sure even hand screening would catch the above.  You'd need to
move to the next level - have someone re-write all incoming/outgoing
mail to change the wording/phrasing etc.

I don't believe there is any technological means by which you can stop
someone smuggling information in or out of an organisation.

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy () alcatel com au
Alcatel Australia Limited