Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Here is my plan for firewall implementation

From: Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy () alcatel com au>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 06:51:35 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997 12:01:57 -0400 (EDT), "Joseph S. D. Yao"
<jsdy () cospo osis gov> wrote:
[MJR's suggestion re non-executable stack]
possibly the Sparc do[es] not.
Actually, most SPARCs can.  Casper Dik <Casper.Dik () Holland Sun COM>
posted some code to BUGTRAQ in November 1996 for Solaris 2.4/2.5/2.5.1
on sun4m and sun4u architectures (although it doesn't work on the
sun4c).  (It patches 1 word and 1 half-word).

Keep in mind that a non-executable stack _will_ break code, although
this is probably not a major issue on a firewall.  The problems I am
aware of are:
1) GCC trampolines (used for nested functions from memory)
2) Interleaf Tool Manager (which you'd better not be running on your
   firewall in any case).

 Software implementations slow the system down, unforgivable to
the Marketing departments [;-)].
Given that the slow-down is measured in orders of magnitude, I suspect
the engineers wouldn't like it either. :-)

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy () alcatel com au
Alcatel Australia Limited