Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall administration.

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr net>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 15:00:45 -0400

Bennett Todd writes:
If they don't have the skill in-house and can't cultivate it, _and_ they
can't
find a half-way competant connectivity provider who'll handle the security as
part of the package, then, they're gonna need to go outside.

Bennett's completely right. What's scary, of course, is that most
organizations DON'T have the skills in-house. And they are
vitally important skills! Hiring contractors makes the situation
worse, because they, like all consultants, take their clues with
them when they leave.

Dogbert: "Your company's problem is that you hire too many consultants."
Manager: "But YOU are a consultant!"
Dogbert: "I know! Ironic, isn't it?"

I actually had the experience (when I was a consultant) of telling
several potential customers that rather than hiring me to do the
work they should learn how to do it themselves for about the
same amount of $$ and time. They look at you funny when you
do that.

mjr.
--
Marcus J. Ranum, CEO, Network Flight Recorder, Inc.
work - http://www.nfr.net