Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Outsourcing Firewalls/Internet Security count

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 10:56:43 -0800

1997-12-02-21:10:59 Edward Cracknell:
1997-12-02-02:20:52: Adam Safier:
How many people received a query or had a chief security officer
CIO express an interest outsourcing their Firewall / security
management?

All of us....and the general opinion is that this is a good thing.

Speak for yourself; I've never personally heard such a request, and
regard it as a horrible thing, for a couple of reasons.

The first one is, you shouldn't be extending that sort of trust outside
your own organization; this is the most obvious and trivial reason.

But a deeper and more urgent concern is that the _hard_ part of firewall
and security management is critically intertwined with the heart of
business management. The only way to make the right decisions for
security management, and to have the authority to enforce those
decisions, is to start with a security policy. Writing and maintaining
that security policy is the most important responsibility for security
administration, it's most of the work, and it's wildly inappropriate for
outsourcing.

Now it's true that some organizations don't have the expertise to get
themselves squared away up front, and don't have sufficiently complex or
fast-changing needs to require a full-time in-house expert. For them,
I would not recommnd outsourcing security management, I'd recommend
instead short-term consultant help to get 'em set up with in-house
management. I've been known to do this for free --- if someone asks me
how to get their little itsie companie hooked up to the internet, I talk
to 'em about data comms alternatives and ISPs and so on, then I explain
that if there's anything valuable on their computers, or if they're
worried about having their computers trashed by vandals, they positively
have to have a firewall, and if they can't afford say $10,000 to get
it done right, I could set 'em up with a trivial firewall implementing
a nice stock policy for free, they provide the old junker 486 PC. It's
easy enough.

-Bennett