Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Win10 & Win11 allow local users to READ the SAM (security accounts manager), SYSTEM, and SECURITY

From: Alex Keller <axkeller () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 18:47:31 +0000

Emerging new chapter in what has been a very rough month for Microsoft - Some versions of Win10 and Win11 allow local
users to READ the SAM (security account manager), as well as SYSTEM, and SECURITY (path C:\Windows\System32\config):
https://twitter.com/gentilkiwi/status/1417467063883476992

More here:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/new-windows-10-vulnerability-allows-anyone-to-get-admin-privileges/

Implication is that any local user can elevate to SYSTEM (root/admin). Command line output below shows confirmation of
exposure, if you see "BUILTIN\Users:(I)(RX)" the host is affected.

No acknowledgement from MS yet.

Best,
Alex

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.1052]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd config

C:\Windows\System32\config>icacls.exe SAM
sam BUILTIN\Administrators:(I)(F)
    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(I)(F)
    BUILTIN\Users:(I)(RX)
    APPLICATION PACKAGE AUTHORITY\ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES:(I)(RX)
    APPLICATION PACKAGE AUTHORITY\ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES:(I)(RX)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

C:\Windows\System32\config>icacls.exe SYSTEM
system BUILTIN\Administrators:(I)(F)
       NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(I)(F)
       BUILTIN\Users:(I)(RX)
       APPLICATION PACKAGE AUTHORITY\ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES:(I)(RX)
       APPLICATION PACKAGE AUTHORITY\ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES:(I)(RX)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

C:\Windows\System32\config>icacls.exe SECURITY
security BUILTIN\Administrators:(I)(F)
         NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(I)(F)
         BUILTIN\Users:(I)(RX)
         APPLICATION PACKAGE AUTHORITY\ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES:(I)(RX)
         APPLICATION PACKAGE AUTHORITY\ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES:(I)(RX)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

Alex Keller
Stanford | Engineering
Information Technology
axkeller () stanford edu<mailto:axkeller () stanford edu>
(650)736-6421