Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fake Student Applications/Registrations

From: "Tomassetti, Tina" <tomassettitm () SUNYBROOME EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 13:05:39 -0400

I remembered this happening here too so I got some info from our Asst. Dir
of  Administrative Information Systems:

Yes.  We shut down all of the instant admission channels such as Banner
Self Service Non Matriculated applications and those now are done via
Wufoo.  We also added a Re-Captcha to the Wufoo form, and advised the
Registrar's Office on what to watch for on those forms that would indicate
an invalid application.  If they recognize those patterns they follow
through asking more information from the 'applicant' with a time limit for
response.  This has weeded them out over time.  We also inactivated all of
the invalid ones in Banner/Gmail, etc. that came in before we caught it.

Scot Beekman

Assistant Director of Administrative Information Systems
Information Technology Services
Phone: +1 (607) 778-5255
Email: beekmansa () sunybroome ed <beekmansa () sunybroome edu>

Tina M. Tomassetti
Assistant Director of Networking and Telecommunications
Information Technology Services
SUNY Broome Community College
PO Box 1017  MS# 63
Binghamton, NY 13902
PH: 607-778-5011
FX: 607-778-5119
tomassettitm () sunybroome edu <tomassetti () sunybroome edu>

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 4:19 PM Wesolowski, Nathan R. <