Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FIDO2 keys and MFA

From: Blake M Bourgeois <bbour53 () LSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 16:32:27 +0000

Just wanted to note, my current understanding is that FIDO2 keys do not work like a traditional MFA method for Azure AD
at this time and may not be a fully suitable compromise. (If I'm incorrect, please let me know-this would be something
great to be incorrect about!)

If you're using the enhanced security info portal (combined registration for MFA and SSPR) you can provide self-service
FIDO2 enrollment by adding it as an authentication method. A FIDO2 key will provide certificate-based passwordless
authentication for users and will satisfy MFA requirements, but is not available as a verification method at sign-in,
per se.

Depending on how you're configuring MFA enrollment, it is worth noting that the first time a user goes to the security
info registration page, a FIDO2 key cannot be configured. Users must configure an app or phone call, depending on what
you have enabled in your environment.

Also, right now in my experience, the FIDO2 key is only available for passwordless authentication in very limited,
browser based contexts. It's not available for desktop applications (Outlook, Teams) and it's not available on mobile.

I only have experience with a Yubikey, but it is possible to use the Yubico Authenticator and the Yubikey to enroll as
an app that generates the 6 digit OTP verification code. The code can be pulled up on any device with the Yubico
Authenticator (for example, I can plug in my key to my desktop and open the app to view any enrolled OTP codes, then
tap the key to my NFC enabled phone and view the codes there, as well). You can use this method to allow security
tokens to fulfill MFA login requirements in all contexts, desktop and mobile, and it may be the only way to enroll in
traditional MFA before the user can access the full featured registration portal after initial enrollment.

Blake Bourgeois, GCED, CISSP
Security Analyst 3, IT Security and Policy
Information Technology Services
Louisiana State University
Office 225-578-1218
bbour53 () lsu edu<mailto:bbour53 () lsu edu>