Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

FIDO2 keys and MFA

From: Beth Albertson <albertb3 () WWU EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 01:01:55 +0000

We are in the process of implementing Azure MFA for our staff and students.  We have a small percentage of students
without smart phones, and would like to offer them the option of using a FIDO2 key.  I was wondering if other
Universities are using FIDO2 keys, and if so, who is picking up the cost?  Are students expected to buy their own
device?  Also, we, like most Universities are all online during the Covid crisis, so it seems we would have to mail the
FIDO2 keys to users if we pick up the cost.  Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Sincerely,

Beth Albertson, CISSP(r), PMP(r)
Director of Information Security
Western Washington University
beth.albertson () wwu edu<mailto:beth.albertson () wwu edu>