Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ID Cards

From: "Jones, Mark B" <Mark.B.Jones () UTH TMC EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 18:58:47 +0000

In my opinion it is a mistake to consider anything printed on ID cards as
private (or worse, secret).

There are too many legitimate needs for access to and to exchange
student/employee IDs for them to be used to prove identity.  They are not
secret.

There are likely easier ways to get this student's ID than passing by that
window display.  If you can do something malicious with it, it should not be
printed on your ID card or you should put processes in place to protect
against the malicious 'thing'.