Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

ID Cards

From: Garrett McManaway <garrett.mcmanaway () WAYNE EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 18:34:56 +0000

Hello,

We recently had an issue come up where a med student was photographed where his student ID on his lab coat. That image
was blown up larger than life and used by our marketing team in the window of our bookstore, which happens to face two
busy public streets. As a result I have gotten a few questions on allowing the ID card to be used as a badge for
physical identification.

Does anyone have a policy around using school issued ID cards as badges for identification? In particular, for Medical
School students working in clinical practices?

We have a OneCard system, where the card contains a photo and other information including the student/employee ID. The
ID is meant to be private and could be used for a number of malicious things, including validation of identity through
our help desk.

As a side note we do not have our own hospital system so we do not issue any other type of badge to use for identity
but rely on the partner institution to do so, but we believe in some cases the students are also displaying their WSU
OneCard as well.

Garrett McManaway
CISO & Sr. Director
C&IT - Information Security and Compliance
Wayne State University
Phone: 313-577-3454