Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [EXTERNAL] [SECURITY] Account purge and reissue...

From: "Kimmitt, Jonathan" <jonathan-kimmitt () UTULSA EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 03:08:55 +0000

Hi Ted,

  I believe it was an attempt to ‘clean up’ AD, and to otherwise not sync so many accounts to the office365.

  We have somewhere around 50,000 accounts (a good portion of those are active) in our User’s OU, and only about 6000
employees & students….  We have not done a good job of our AD management….  We also give all admitted students user
accounts and emails, so we have thousands of accounts each semester that do not come to the university, but the
accounts stay active.

I became aware of the issue of Systems deleting a significant number of accounts, when we went to disable a number of
accounts from the most recent breach info, and found they were already disabled.  After some investigation we found
they were in process of ‘deleting’ old accounts….  That’s when I started asking questions.

Out of curiosity, what do you use to manage the accounts?  We are currently using a very large powershell script
(10,000 lines at last count), to create/disable accounts between our ERP and AD.

We have looked at several IDM tools (MIM, AdManage, etc), but nothing materialized.

Thank you for the information!

-Jonathan